Online Open Mic Night
Music Generation Laois Online Open Mic Night is a creative music platform for young people aged 12-18 living on the island of Ireland.
This project seeks to connect with young musicians from across Ireland, to submit a video of their original music songs/tunes/compositions/raps/electronic music. Videos will be reviewed by Music Generation Laois, and a selection of videos will then be live-streamed at the Online Open Mic Night on Saturday 13th June @ 8pm on the Creative Ireland Laois YouTube Channel, as part of Cruinniu na nÓg – a national day of creativity for young people.
What we need: a video of at least 1 minute duration and no more than 2 minutes, filmed in landscape (side-e-ways) showing you perform your musical creation. For electronic music videos you are welcome to submit visuals to accompany your music.
What kind of music creations: Perform a tune/song you composed; a rap you created; electronic music you created or even a series of sounds created by you using objects from your home …
Any genre – pop, rock, jazz, funk, soul, dance, techno, trad, folk, contemporary, world, gospel….etc
All entries will be viewed by a panel of professional musicians from Music Generation Laois. This panel of professional musicians will choose a selection of entries to be showcased at the Open Mic Night on the 13th of June 2020. We also have 2 prizes available for entries that ooze originality and musical creativity, prize-winners will be announced on the night.
National Prize: Win 1 day recording in Golden Egg Studios world-class recording facility in Co. Laois. Open to any young musician age 12-18 living on the island of Ireland.
Laois Prize: For up and coming musicians from Co. Laois! Win 1 year’s free music lessons in Music Generation Laois. Open to young musicians age 12-18 and living in Co. Laois.
Age 12- 18
Original music (Original music only, created by the young person/young people in the video)
Quality video with good lighting and audio
You must introduce yourself at the beginning of the video – first/band name and where you are from, e.g. I’m Mary, and I’m from Portlaoise. For electronic music with visuals, we can add credits if you need help.
Filmed in landscape
Video duration is between 1 and 2 minutes
Group performances are accepted, as long as they are created following Government guidelines on social distancing (acappella app/similar recordings etc are welcome)
Parents/ family members can assist in making the video
Email your videos to Music Generation Laois, firstname.lastname@example.org
For large files we recommend you send videos by wetransfer. We will send you an email to acknowledge receipt of your entry. Label your file properly with your name, and the title of your entry, e.g. Joe Bloggs Master of the Sea
Include your name, DOB, home address, parent/guardian phone number in your email and the title of your piece.
Deadline for entries (NOW EXTENDED!): 5pm, Friday 5 June, 2020
Some Tips for Making Videos
• Film at eye level if you can. ie do not film from a height looking down
• Don’t film outside unless you have a really still day. The mic will pick up wind and ruin your film.
• Don’t use digital zoom, ie. don’t zoom in and out. Keep it fixed.
• Don’t flip camera upside down when filming.
• Use natural lighting indoors if filming, ie. let the light from the window flood your face.
• Use bedside lamps etc to help light the face
• Don’t use filters on the video – leave it natural.
• Leave 10 secs of silence at start and end of video clip. ie don’t press record and start talking straightaway. Leave time at the start and end.
Further Details on the prizes
– 1 Day recording in Golden Egg Studio, Co. Laois, with access to top-notch recording equipment and a sound engineer.
– 1 year free lessons in a Music Generation Laois group music class in Laois Music Centre (or online depending on closures), instruments will be provided for the year (September 2020-May 2021), standard refundable security deposit payable on instrument hire, consistent attendance required upon sign-up as per the terms and conditions of MGL student enrolment.
Cruinniu na nÓg is a national day of free creativity for children and young people across Ireland. It is an initiative of the Creative Ireland Programme (2018-2022) in partnership with Laois County Council and RTÉ.
More information at: