Our annual Open Evening with Laois School of Music will take place on the 7 of September at Portlaoise Youth Education Centre, Railway Street, Portlaoise, from 6-8pm
- Stampede Drumming (world drumming)
- School of Rock and Pop (guitar, drums, keyboard, ukulele, weekly jam time)
- Orchestral Percussion
- Brass (trumpet, trombone, euphonium)
- Double Bass
- Trad Flute
- Tin Whistle
- Uilleann Pipes
- Trad Orchestra
- Harp Ensemble
Come along, meet the tutors, try the instruments!
Music Generation Laois now needs to contract the services of a music education professional to assist the Music Generation Laois Co-ordinator with the organisation, promotion and day-to-day running of Music Generation Laois. We are looking for someone who is passionate about music education and has excellent I.T. communication and organisational skills. This opportunity is offered on a contract for services basis.
Education, training, experience etc:
- An appropriate qualification in music, music education or related area from a recognised institution is desirable
- Full Driving License and access to a car is essential
- Excellent I.T. skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Web Page Design/Editing photo manipulation software such as Adobe Photoshop and experience of using/updating Social Media such as Twitter and Facebook is essential
- Previous experience of working in a similar role is desirable
- Knowledge of music education sector is essential
This will involve:
- Supporting the planning and development of Music Generation Laois performance music education programme
- Supporting administration, monitoring, reporting, resource management, event management and other aspects of project management of an extensive music education service
- Developing and providing internal and external communications, using relevant communication tools
- Dealing with day-to-day inquiries from tutors, schools, centres, and the general public and assisting with enrolment of students and class scheduling
- Collection and lodgment of student fees
- Assisting with the processing of payments
- Assisting with the operations across all programme strands
- Assisting with performance and other Music Generation Laois events
- Assisting with procurement and management of musical instruments/equipment
- Preparing agendas, writing and circulating minutes for Committee meetings
- Managing website, social media and e-letters
- Preparing press releases, and managing contacts with local press
- Assisting with the preparation and distribution of press/communications and publicity material relevant to the work of Music Generation Laois
- Assisting with photography/videoing of rehearsals/concerts for archives and promotional use
- Assisting with any other work of Music Service as identified by Music Generation Laois Co-ordinator
Location: 28 hours per week, based in the Arts Office of Laois County Council. Attendance outside normal office hours will be required and flexibility to meet the needs of Music Generation Laois will be required.
Duration of Contract: Contract to commence on Monday 5th of September 2016 for a 15 week period.
Fee: €7500 payable in 5 instalments, and upon receipt of a valid invoice.
Travel: Travel expenses will be paid in addition to the contract fee, any travel must be approved in advance by the Music Generation Laois Co-ordinator.
Garda Vetting: This post is subject to Garda Vetting.
How to Apply: Complete the Submission form and send by email to Rosa Flannery: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates: Deadline for completed submission forms: 5pm, Monday 29 of August 2016.
Interviews to take place in Portlaoise on Thursday 1 September 2016.
Contract to commence on Monday 5 of September 2016.
Please note that this is a contract for services and not an employment opportunity.
Top notch trad musicians descended on Co Laois at the weekend, as part of the 3rd annual Music Generation Laois Trad Summer School. Well-known musicians, Cormac de Barra, Maire Ní Chathasaigh, Brendan Begley, Noel Hill, Nollaig McCarthy, Eamon Murray, Harry Bradley, Aidan O Donnell, Denise Boyle, Siobhan Buckley, Aine McQuaid, Sean Hill and Barry Leonard were among the musicians who came to tutor young musicians from Laois and surrounding counties.
The Trad Summer School, which took place from the 15-17 of July, attracts lots of young trad musicians, who avail of the wide range of classes on offer, including uilleann pipes, harp, concertina, button accordion, bodhrán, fiddle, tin whistle and trad flute.
Speaking at the tutor concert, which took place on Saturday evening in Portlaoise Youth Education Centre on Railway Street in Portlaoise, Rosa Flannery Co-ordinator of Music Generation Laois said, ‘there is huge interest in traditional music among young people in Laois, and we want to do everything we can to support, sustain and develop this interest. Young people should be able to access music tuition in their own area, without having to travel or without the barrier of high tuition fees. We are thrilled at how successful the Summer School has become, and we look forward to doing it all over again in 2017.’