The Music Generation Laois Trad Orchestra was established in January 2016 under the directorship of Paul Finn and Siobhan Buckley. Earlier this year the orchestra collaborated with Donegal Accordionist Martin Tourish to create a new 30 minute suite of music ‘1916 Visions and Voices’ funded by the Laois 2016 Community Fund, Per Cent for Art through Laois County Council and the Music Generation Arts Council Partnership. The music was premiered on the 22 of May, as part of the Music Generation Laois New Works Series, to unprecedented public response! The work has since been performed in Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann in Ennis 2016, and will be professionally recorded in Golden Egg Studio Portlaoise later this year.
Music Generation Laois are auditioning for new Trad Orchestra members. Auditions will take place on Saturday 8 of October in Portlaoise. This opportunity is for advanced traditional music students with 4 years experience and upwards, and aged 18 and under.
Please note: Current orchestra members do not need to re-audition.
Weekly rehearsal: Successful applicants must be available for weekly rehearsal on Saturdays from 10am-11:30am. Attendance is strictly monitored, if members miss more than 3 rehearsals throughout the academic year, their membership will be relinquished.
Fee: Annual orchestra membership fee €100.
To apply for an audition send an email to email@example.com stating your name, age, instrument, and some information about your experience as a musician to-date (no more than 200 words) by 10am on Friday 7 October 2016.
Please include your parent/ guardian mobile telephone number. If selected for an audition, you will receive a text message with all relevant info. Applications from parents on behalf of their children will not be accepted.
On Friday 16 September, Music Generation Laois, in conjunction with the Laois Arts Office, joined counties and cities across Ireland in celebrating Culture Night 2016. New Road, a traditional Irish band with Americana influences based in Sligo, with special guests Cathy Jordan (Dervish) and Leonard Podolak (The Duhks), performed in the beautiful surroundings of The Malthouse in Stradbally. Music Generation Laois also held bi-lingual bodhrán workshops with Dale McKay, in Portlaoise Youth Education Centre in Railway Street.
Speaking after the concert, Rosa Flannery, Co-ordinator of Music Generation Laois, said that The Malthouse, which is privately owned ‘is a stunning location for a concert, brimming with individuality and quirkiness, which combined with the wonderful musicians performing on the night, made for a brilliant evening’s entertainment.’ A group of young musicians, who are part of over 3000 young people in the County who participate in weekly Music Generation Laois programmes, took part in a workshop earlier in the evening with New Road and Cathy Jordan. These young musicians then joined the band for an encore on stage in The Malthouse that night, much to the delight of the audience.
Culture Night offers access to cultural institutions and cultural events free of charge, and is an opportunity to celebrate culture, creativity and the arts throughout Ireland.
Our annual Open Evening with Laois School of Music will take place on the 7 of September at Portlaoise Youth Education Centre, Railway Street, Portlaoise, from 6-8pm
Music Generation Laois classes and ensembles:
- Stampede Drumming (world drumming)
- School of Rock and Pop (guitar, drums, keyboard, ukulele, weekly jam time)
- Orchestral Percussion
- Brass (trumpet, trombone, euphonium)
- Double Bass
- Trad Flute
- Tin Whistle
- Uilleann Pipes
- Trad Orchestra
- Harp Ensemble
Come along, meet the tutors, try the instruments!
Music Generation Laois now needs to contract the services of a music education professional to assist the Music Generation Laois Co-ordinator with the organisation, promotion and day-to-day running of Music Generation Laois. We are looking for someone who is passionate about music education and has excellent I.T. communication and organisational skills. This opportunity is offered on a contract for services basis.
Education, training, experience etc:
- An appropriate qualification in music, music education or related area from a recognised institution is desirable
- Full Driving License and access to a car is essential
- Excellent I.T. skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Web Page Design/Editing photo manipulation software such as Adobe Photoshop and experience of using/updating Social Media such as Twitter and Facebook is essential
- Previous experience of working in a similar role is desirable
- Knowledge of music education sector is essential
This will involve:
- Supporting the planning and development of Music Generation Laois performance music education programme
- Supporting administration, monitoring, reporting, resource management, event management and other aspects of project management of an extensive music education service
- Developing and providing internal and external communications, using relevant communication tools
- Dealing with day-to-day inquiries from tutors, schools, centres, and the general public and assisting with enrolment of students and class scheduling
- Collection and lodgment of student fees
- Assisting with the processing of payments
- Assisting with the operations across all programme strands
- Assisting with performance and other Music Generation Laois events
- Assisting with procurement and management of musical instruments/equipment
- Preparing agendas, writing and circulating minutes for Committee meetings
- Managing website, social media and e-letters
- Preparing press releases, and managing contacts with local press
- Assisting with the preparation and distribution of press/communications and publicity material relevant to the work of Music Generation Laois
- Assisting with photography/videoing of rehearsals/concerts for archives and promotional use
- Assisting with any other work of Music Service as identified by Music Generation Laois Co-ordinator
Location: 28 hours per week, based in the Arts Office of Laois County Council. Attendance outside normal office hours will be required and flexibility to meet the needs of Music Generation Laois will be required.
Duration of Contract: Contract to commence on Monday 5th of September 2016 for a 15 week period.
Fee: €7500 payable in 5 instalments, and upon receipt of a valid invoice.
Travel: Travel expenses will be paid in addition to the contract fee, any travel must be approved in advance by the Music Generation Laois Co-ordinator.
Garda Vetting: This post is subject to Garda Vetting.
How to Apply: Complete the Submission form and send by email to Rosa Flannery: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates: Deadline for completed submission forms: 5pm, Monday 29 of August 2016.
Interviews to take place in Portlaoise on Thursday 1 September 2016.
Contract to commence on Monday 5 of September 2016.
Please note that this is a contract for services and not an employment opportunity.
Music Generation Laois – Music Education Professional Services Submission Form